In the diocese of Trent, he devoted himself tirelessly to pastoral visits.
Roman Martyrology: In Trent, Blessed John Nepomuk von Tschiderer, Bishop, who ruled his church with evangelical fervor of faith and sense of humanity in times of misfortune and offered a wonderful testimony of love for his flock.
Fifth of seven brothers, John of Nepomuk de Tschiderer was born in Bolzano April 15, 1777 by Giuseppe Gioacchino de Tschiderer of Gleifheim, collector general of Tyrol and Catherine de Giovanelli. As a child he had pronunciation problems and stuttered slightly as an adult. From the family he received careful and strict upbringing. In 1785, his family had moved to Innsbruck, but next he would be back in Bolzano at his grandfather’s house to attend the school of the Franciscans, where he distinguished himself for honest and diligent enforcement.
At Innsbruck he studied philosophy and supported them attended his father Herculaneum Oberrauch that guided him in the study of Sacred Scripture and the Fathers, when between 1794 and 1798 he attended theological studies. On July 27, 1800 he was ordained a priest in Bolzano fal Prince Bishop of Trent Emanuele Maria Thun, celebrated the first Mass in the church of St. Anthony of Padua in Collalbo / Klobenstein Rittner plateau, where he was training period of two years as assistant priest in the parish of Longomoso / Lengmoos. In 1802 he could go for a year in Rome where he was repeatedly received in audience by Pope Pius VII. He was a cooperator Auna di Sotto / Unterinn in 1803 and St Pancras / Sankt Pankraz in 1804 and when the time came to become a priest in 1807 he was appointed professor of theology at the Seminary of Trent for government appointment (during those years were the Tyrol and Trentino Bavarian rule). In Trent proved, despite the difficulties in Italian, “a talented teacher and great teaching skills. In 1810 with the annexation of Trentino to the French Reign of Italy, the teachers were replaced by Germans in Trent Italian teachers and that is why John was able to realize his desire to become a pastor at Sarn / Sarntal (25/08/1810), parish challenging for the many villages and many scattered farms. John founded small schools in various locations, according to teachers is also involved personally, especially in the catechism.
Despite the many miles to walk on mountain paths, he regularly visited the sick and the poor parishioners, handing them food. On September 13, 1819 he was named pastor of Merano. In Merano to continue his work with dedication: supporting the school of English ladies, artisans and helping students in distress, he visited the prison every week and spent much time taking confessions. On October 26, 1826 was called to Trent Bishop Francis Xavier Luschin and became canon and member of the cathedral chapter of Trent. The following year, December 26, 1827 he was appointed Metropolitan with the responsibility to look the part of the German diocese .. On February 24, 1832 Pope Gregory XVI bestowed the title of titular bishop of Ellenopoli Deck and Auxiliary of the Prince Bishop of Brixen for the province of Vorarlberg. The consecration took place in the Episcopal Church of the Servants in Innsbruck May 20, 1832 at the hands of the bishop of Brixen Bernardo Galura. On July 15, 1834 at the proposal of the Bishop of Trent Luschinm appointed archbishop of Lviv, the Emperor Francis I named Juan Nepomuceno de Tschiderer Bishop of Trent, appointment ratified by Pope Gregory XVI December 19 of that year. John arrived in Trent May 1, 1835. In his episcopate he was noted for the many pastoral visits to the places of the diocese, which by extension was second only to that of Milan. He Consecrated sixty new churches and continued his work in favor of supporting the poorest among them the Johanneum of Bolzano Institute for the Deaf of Trent.
In 1859, the worsening of his illness, cardiac dropsy, almost prevented him from moving, but the celebrations continued until in 1860 the Episcopal struck by high fevers was bedridden.
After receiving the anointing of the sick and the papal blessing on the evening of December 3, 1860, he passed away peacefully. In 1873 his successor, Benedict de Riccabona opened the diocesan inquiry on the virtues of John of Nepomuk, the first step that led to the Beatification of the Bishop, which took place in Trent, Trentino, April 30, 1995.
Author: Maurizio Misino
source: Santi e Beati