Saint Adalgiso Bishop of Novara
Was the thirty-second of the series, as you can read in the diptychs of the church of Novara, the one preserved in the Basilica of St. Gaudenzio (1070) And the other in the Cathedral (1123 ca.). More sober the first, the second largest, attest, however, agreed that Adalgiso. was bishop of Novara for eighteen years, from 830 (or 831) 849 (or 850) according to some, to 834 or 852-3 (?) according to others.
The talk of Bascape A. in its Novara, after describing the era in which the saint lived, that of Charlemagne’s victories over the Lombards, followed by the constitution from coronation of the emperor and the Holy Roman Empire, which gives rise to the Carolingian rule in Italy.
Adalgisa is constantly felt by the tradition of Lombard origin, perhaps from the same family last king Desiderius, indeed, even his niece. But no one knows exactly of his youthful years. Thought to be a canon of the church of Saint Gaudenzio, having later proved very wide of its assets to the chapter of this church. Even if it has been named bishop for his virtues rather than for high society. By 854 he was no longer among the living, as stated in the diploma of Emperor Louis II, directed to the successor of Adalgisa, Dodona or Brass and precisely dated June 7 of that year.
In addition to “holy bishop” (these words, written in red as a sign of honor, are the more calories you read in the diptychs of the Cathedral), he is also credited with rare praise of “gem of the priests,” while alludes to his “specchiatissime works.”
It may be safely said that historic news of his generous donations to the canons of the Cathedral, Episcopal, and now preserved in the Archive already lost. Donations also covered the canons of Saints Julius and Gozzano, as well as those of the Cathedral of St. Gaudenzio. There are three separate documents, probably all of February 19, 840, obtained from the emperor at the request of Adalgisa.
From the same letter that Adalgisa put at the service of the church of Santa Maria forty clergy for the celebration of divine offices, giving them a reasonable benefit. He also enriched the Cathedral with the wonderful mosaic that still be seen before the high altar. In another outstanding document, preserved in the library chapter of Saint Gaudenzio, which bears the date of January 30, 848, it is noted that Adalgiso gave to the canons of St. Gaudenzio the possession of the basket and other lands of the Lower Novarese, providing them even “the clothing and footwear.
When he died, his remains were first raised in the church of Saint Gaudenzio outside the walls, then taken to the city in 1533, after the destruction of the church and outside of houses by Charles V. Since 1927 they rest, along with the relics of other bishops of Novara, in Saint. Gaudenzio, in an artistic urn under the altar dedicated to his name. His feast occurs according to the Acta Sanctorum October 7, while today the Church celebrates the Novara 5 of the same month.
Author: Vincenzo Gilla Gremigni
Source: Santi e Beati