Jesus & Apostles Never Quoted from the “Apocrypha”.
Q. Do you know that neither Jesus Christ nor the N.T. writers ever quoted anything from the apocrypha?
Wisdom 2:12Let us beset the just one, because he is obnoxious to us; he sets himself against our doings, Reproaches us for transgressions of the law and charges us with violations of our training.
13 He professes to have knowledge of God and styles himself a child of the LORD.14 To us he is the censure of our thoughts; merely to see him is a hardship for us, 15 Because his life is not like other men’s, and different are his ways.16He judges us debased; he holds aloof from our paths as from things impure. He calls blest the destiny of the just and boasts that God is his Father.
17 Let us see whether his words be true; let us find out what will happen to him. 18 With revilement and torture let us put him to the test that we may have proof of his gentleness and try his patience. For if the just one be the son of God, he will defend him and deliver him from the hand of his foes. 19 With revilement and torture let us put him to the test that we may have proof of his gentleness and try his patience. 20Let us condemn him to a shameful death; for according to his own words, God will take care of him.” 21 These were their thoughts, but they erred; for their wickedness blinded them,
Matthew 27:41 In the same way the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders mocked him. 42“He saved others,” they said, “but he can’t save himself! He’s the King of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. 43He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him, for he said, ‘I am the Son of God.’ ” 44In the same way the robbers who were crucified with him also heaped insults on him.
This passage in the Book of Wisdom may have been one of the major reasons the Jews removed it from their scriptures.
Wisdom 13:1 For all men were by nature foolish who were in ignorance of God, and who from the good things seen did not succeed in knowing him who is, and from studying the works did not discern the artisan; … For from the greatness and the beauty of created things their original author, by analogy, is seen.
Romans 1:19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
Compare Wisdom 12:24-25 with Romans 1:24-25
- Wisdom 12:24-25 For they went far astray in the paths of error, taking for gods the worthless and disgusting among beasts, deceived like senseless infants.Therefore as though upon unreasoning children, you sent your judgment on them as a mockery;
- Romans 1:24-25 24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
Sirach 27:6 The fruit of a tree shows the care it has had; so too does a man’s speech disclose the bent of his mind.
Mathew 7:17-20 Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
The New Testament quotes Wisdom 51 times… here are just some of them, exposed in the further commentaries:
– Wis.2:13,18…Mat.27:42-43... for if the righteous man is God’s son, he will help him, and will deliver him from the hand of his adversaries.
– Wis.3:13-14…Mat.19:10-12, 1Cor.7:34… Blessed is the barren woman… Blessed also is the eunuch… A special kind of just: The virgin and the eunuch.
- Wis.4:1-2…1Cor.7:38,34… Better than this is childlessness with virtue
- Wis.5:18-20… Eph.6:13-18… The Armor of God
- Wis.7:26… Heb.1:3… For Wisdom is a reflection of eternal light, a spotless mirror of the working of God, and an image of his goodness.
- Wis.9:1…Jn.1:1-3, Col.1:15:20… The Hymn of the Word of John 1: O God of my fathers and Lord of mercy, who hast made all things by thy Word,
– Wis.9:10-11…John 16:13… For Wisdom knows and understands all things, and she will guide me wisely in my actions and guard me with her glory.
– Wis.12:1-11…Heb.12… For thy immortal spirit is in all things…
– Wis.13:1-10…Romans 1… The ungodly are inexcusable and foolish and miserable, like in Romans 1:20-23: For all men who were ignorant of God were foolish by nature; and they were unable from the good things that are seen to know him who exists, nor did they recognize the craftsman while paying heed to his works…not even they are to be excused… but miserable…
– Wis.18:14-15…Night of Christmas… For while gentle silence enveloped all things, and night in its swift course was now half gone, thy all-powerful word leaped from heaven, from the royal throne, into the midst of the land that was doomed, a stern warrior..
For a look at why the hermenutic of Quotation=Canonicity proves too much please see this post Canon of Scripture